Informal athletic teams were first formed at North Texas in 1902. Formal intercollegiate teams were created in 1913 with the hire of a director of athletics, J. W. “Dad” Pender. Two years later the “T” Club, a letterman society, was formed. The school joined the Intercollegiate Athletic Association in 1921 with the first teams known as the “Normal Boys,” “Normal Girls,” “Normalites,” or “Teachers.” By 1922, the eagle was chosen as the mascot and the alma mater had been composed. The teams representing North Texas in this era included football, basketball, baseball, and track.