Growing Up Green: 1941-2015 : Time Capsule

In 1988 a time capsule was buried in front of the Hurley Administration Building. It had been assembled to commemorate the occasion of the seventh name change for the university. The name was changed to the University of North Texas from North Texas State University. It was buried alongside the 1962 time capsule, which documented the first year the school was a university.

The capsule was opened in April 2015 during the celebration of University Day.  The capsule was composed of a copper box encased in steel reinforced concrete.  Among the items contained in the capsule were books, a VHS tape of President Hurley, memorabilia from campus blood drives, and a color print of the 1988 Drumline.

This box was used as the time capsule in 1988.  It was buried in the flower bed in front of the Administration Building and was brought up in 2015. President Smatresk presented the box and its contents to students gathered on the library mall to celebrate University Day in April, 2015. 

The Time Capsule
The Time Capsule
The Time Capsule

An issue of The North Texas Daily from March 22, 1988 is pictured in the time capsule.

The North Texas Daily
North Texas Daily
The North Texas Daily

A male cheerleading uniform and a pom-pom were uncovered in the 1988 time capsule.

An image of the 1988 drum line was included in the time capsule. This part of the Marching Band was named the National Champion in the 1988 percussion contest hosted by the Percussive Arts Society. Many of the percussionists in this photo went on to successful careers as artists and professors.