UNT: The First 50 Years : Plate with Image of Normal Building

This plate features an image of the first building on campus, the Normal Building, which opened in 1891. Denton was still a prairie town at the end of the 19th century and a barbed wire fence was installed around the building to keep out livestock. The Normal Building was located on the corner of Hickory and Avenue B, today the site of Hickory Hall. In 1907 the Normal Building was struck by lightning and burned to the ground.

Plate with Image of Normal Building

This plate features an image of the first building on campus, the Normal Building, which opened in 1891.