The Texas Normal College and Teachers Training Institute was founded in 1890 by a group of Denton businessmen known as “The Syndicate.” They raised money and selected the first president, J. C. Chilton, and the land on which the future University of North Texas would grow. Although the primary goal of the institution was to train teachers, degrees were conferred in business and music from the early days as well. The first bachelor’s degrees were awarded in 1892. In 1983, under the second president, John J. Crumley, and with the help of State Senator Emory C. Smith, the state legislature granted the college, renamed to North Texas Normal College, the right to confer state teaching certificates. In 1899, the college became a state institution, with the first appropriations made in 1901. The institution grew through its early decades, adding departments and organizing schools and colleges. By 1936, the first master’s degrees were awarded.