Aviation pioneer Lawrence Dale Bell founded the Bell Aircraft
Corporation in Buffalo, NY in 1935. When the helicopter division began
to thrive, in 1951, the division established a new headquarters in
Hurst, TX. The corporation was purchased by Textron in 1960 and
established Bell Helicopter as a separate corporation.
In the final photograph, seven men are aboard a single occupancy helicopter
prototype. They are hovering a few feet off the ground during its first
flight. This particular prototype is the basis for the Bell 47 series,
which includes the familiar model with the cockpit encased in a bubble
of glass and the tail with exposed welded tube, similar to the helicopter
in the photograph.