Pearl C. Anderson, 1987
Pearl C. Anderson (1898 - 1990) grew up in modest means in Louisiana, where she was denied an education until she was 12 and the Rosewald Foundation built a school for Black children near her home. She attended college for a year, and moved to Dallas where she purchased a plot of land and built her own very successful grocery store. She married Dr. J.W. Anderson, a wealthy well-respected Black doctor, and after his death she dedicated herself and her wealth to philanthropic pursuits. Anderson was beloved by the Dallas community, and donated time and money to organizations like the NAACP, Bishop College, the American Red Cross, and many more. In 1955 she donated $350,000 worth of properties in downtown Dallas to the Community Chest Trust Fund, which is still being used to provide early childhood education for disadvantaged children in Dallas.