Rev. C.B.T. Smith, 1995
Reverend C.B.T. Smith (1917 - 2009) was dedicated to his South Dallas community called The Bottom. Rev. Smith served in World War II, before entering college, and attending Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. Rev. Smith served as pastor at four other Texas churches before finding his home at Golden Gate Missionary Baptist Church in 1952. He served at Golden Gate for 45 years until his retirement in 1997. Rev. Smith was active in the community, even after his retirement, acting as a member of the Townview Magnet School Committee, Advisory Board of the Southwest Police Committee, and the NAACP. He was a major actor in the state and national church community, acting as Vice President of the North Texas District Association, Chairman of National Baptist Convention of America, Inc., and co-founder of North Texas District Encampment, Bristol, TX. Rev. Smith was honored for his work within his community, by having Sabine Street, the street where Golden Gate Church stands, renamed for him after his death in 2009.